Tuesday 16 February 2010

Digiscoping with the Canon S90

Just had a play with the S90 and my scope. Initial findings are
disappointing

Its very slow to take shots, although I have set it to raw (it appears
to make little difference time-wise to shoot jpegs or raw files). It takes
them at about one image a second. The centre focus is ok, but you
obviously can't move it away from centre. The only other option you
have is face-recognition focus - I'll experiment with this, but I'm not
holding out much hope for it to recognise birds faces!

Because its slow to take the shots (and consequently refresh the
screen), its very difficult to see what the bird is doing purely by
looking at the screen. The self-timer, although customisable, has an
annoying flashing orange light in between shots (and without it, the
camera would be quicker taking those shot!).

I've not managed a sharp (or what I'd call sharp) image yet either,
although the light is dull and grey, and I was hand-holding my camera.
In addition my universal adapter, which I was hoping to use with it,
doesn't quite fit the barrel of the lens, so I can't get the camera lens
close enough to my eyepieces for vignette-free images.

Having said that, the images, when you zoom in to them, are very good
quality, with very little noise. Time will tell, but needless to say, I
don't think this is going to be a classic digiscoping camera! My S80 by
comparison, had far more useful features, was quicker, and I could get
vignette-free images with my Swaro eyepieces.

Ho-hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails